In The OFB 50 States Project, you the readers spill the beans about your state: the good, the bad, and the delicious. And thus provide “forever place” seekers (like yours truly) a useful resource in their search. We’d love to hear about your state! To be a part of this project, click here to fill out the form!
|Low State Taxes Ranking: 4Low Cost of Living Ranking: 17
State Economy Ranking: 36
|Average Temperatures (Baton Rouge):
The Short of It
The state of Louisiana is brought to you by the following awesome OFB readers:
1) Anesha W. // 2) Emily J. // 3) Aimee // 4) Katelyn
What food best represents Louisiana?
- Crawfish 1
- Gumbo 2
- Seafood, gumbo, jambalaya… Louisiana is ALL ABOUT FOOD! 3
- Gumbo, Jambalya, Seafood — anything spicy! 4
What song best represents Louisiana?
- Jamablaya on the Bayou – Hank Williams 1
- Callin’ Baton Rouge – Garth Brooks 2, 4
- State song is “You Are My Sunshine.” We are known for our music as much as we are known for our food! I love walking through the French Quarter to listen to the street musicians playing on the corners. 3
- Louisiana Saturday Night 4
How does LA refer to a carbonated beverage drink?
- Coke 1, 2, 3, 4
If you could take a friend to one place in LA, where would it be?
- To any nearby lake for fishing, water skiing, and going for a float 1
- Tiger Stadium in Baton Rouge! 2, 4
- Saturday night game in Death Valley… LSU football!! 3
Louisiana Swamp Lily Pad (photo by NOAA Photo Library)
The Long of It
Biggest misconception about LA?
- That we’re all coon-asses [Cajun] or rednecks. 1
- That we all hunt alligators! 2
- That everyone is uneducated/drunk/poor/or like the people on Swamp People or Duck Dynasty… There are a variety of people in Louisiana. We all like to have FUN, but there are many versions of FUN here. 3
- We all hunt alligators and have a swamp in our backyard! 4
Best aspect about living in LA?
- Southern hospitality 1
- The culture and the history 2
- People are friendly. We love to have a good time & enjoy sharing our culture and food with visitors. Mardi Gras is also awesome! The Thibodaux/Houma area has many Mardi Gras parades, but a MUCH more family friendly atmosphere than New Orleans. 3
- The culture of the people and the surroundings. We are a friendly state with lots of history, culture and great food! 4
Worst aspect about living in LA?
- The summer heat is comparable to HELL. 1
- Education system is going through some stuff. Poverty also looks very different here than in other states. 2
- Hurricanes …but at least we get a warning that they’re coming. Not like sudden earthquakes! 3
- The less-than-active population 4
Summarize your feelings about Louisiana in five words.
- There’s no place like home. 1
- I can’t live anywhere else! 2
- Let the good times roll!!!!! 3
- Exciting, unique, fun, Southern, historic 4
Our Freaking Take
Despite growing up in Alabama, I’ve never done more than just drive through parts of Lousiana. I know, sad. My cross country team in high school went to New Orleans each year, but my strict parents never allowed me to join in the fun. And so Johnny actually knows more about Louisiana than I do. He spent a few days in New Orleans on a business trip and came back raving about the airboat tour he went on with his company. To this day, he still ranks it as one of the most incredible wildlife experiences he’s ever had. And so, if for nothing else, I’d love to visit Louisiana just for that. And admittedly, I’ll be cheering on the LSU Tigers next Saturday just to annoy my parents, who are huge Alabama fans!
How did these answers line up with your perception of Louisiana? Have your thoughts on the state changed after reading this? Could you see it fitting your forever-place bill?