All three of us are home and happy and healthy. We’re all pretty exhausted, but loving our new life together.
Around here, we’ll just call her Baby Girl. This was actually the name printed on her ID bracelets because her mommy and daddy needed some time to try on some different names. Unfortunately, Thor didn’t fit.
We’ve learned a lot over the last few days. Here are a few of them in mostly chronological order.
- When a resident checks you and says, “You’re not in labor,” it actually means the exact opposite. Thankfully, a real doctor knew to double check the resident’s noob assessment.
- The ice pellets from the maternity ward ice machine makes having a baby totally worth it. Just trust me on this.
- Just because you have a doctor doesn’t mean you’ll have him/her there for delivery. Yep, despite the multiple “Code: White” calls the nurse made over the intercom, Baby Girl was delivered by a nurse and yours truly.
- Despite your doctor not arriving until a full minute after your baby’s delivery, it is possible to withhold punching him/her in the face. Especially if you’re a mushy-gushy mess and crying harder than your newborn baby.
- Let your emotions run free. You are watching life come into this world. It’s amazing. Don’t pretend like it isn’t.
- Remember that all the cute features (read: every square inch of your baby) came from your wife. Especially her dimples.
- It’s all in the swaddle. Chipotle employees are probably the best parents EVER.
- That sleep thing? Yeah, that used to be fun. But on the plus side, you get to watch sunrises and The Wonder Years reruns at 4am. All while being accompanied by the coolest baby in the world.
- Anything can happen when that diaper comes off. Be prepared… be very prepared.
- Having a baby is the most beautiful, trying, wonderful thing ever. We’ve only known our Baby Girl a few, short days, but we can’t get over how much we already love here. Over the last few days, we’ve reached our lowest lows and highest highs. Adjusting to parenthood has been a wild ride, but we feel so blessed to be the parents of our sweet Baby Girl.
So without further ado (or delirious, sleep-deprived rambling), meet our Baby Girl.
Thanks for all the well wishes. We appreciate every one of your kind words. We’ll be back to posting regularly, but it might take us a few weeks to get back into the swing of things. But we’re beyond excited to resume with a new Our Freaking Budget team member.
For the parents, does our list resonate? Anything else you’d add? For those thinking about parenthood in the near future, have we sufficiently freaked you out?