Lately, Johnny and I have found ourselves putting the majority of our life on autopilot. Wake up. Eat. Wrangle children. Work. Sleep. Repeat. Since moving, we’ve still been trying to find a balance between work, parenthood, and life. Now that we’re doing this self-employment thing, we’d love to have our finances more normalized, so we’ve been putting a lot of our time and attention into that. But the number one thing we’re struggling with is lack of time. This two-kid thing is kind of kicking our butts in terms of time management.
For example, on Friday night, our daughters woke up a combined total of 10 times between the hours of 12:30 a.m. and 6:30 a.m. And our cat woke us up another two times. Johnny and I were laughing deliriously (so as to not start sobbing) and hoping we were both just having the same very bad dream. So most of Saturday was spent in a sleep-deprived fog trying to care for our energetic daughters until all four of us finally crashed at 1:00 p.m. While that doesn’t happen every night, we still have two little girls who absorb most of our time and attention these days. So we apologize if we’ve seemed there but not there on OFB. To restart things a bit, we wanted to do an About You and hear from you and you and you today. For the record, we’ve read every one of your comments, and we’ll do our best to catch up this week.
Before we start firing off questions as fast as a two-year-old unrolls a brand new roll of toilet paper, here are a few other ways we can stay connected: like us on Facebook, follow me on Instagram (mostly Sally and Winnie appearing angelic), follow me on Pinterest, and follow us on Twitter. And we’ve kicked off a super secret email list where a few times a month we’ll show up in your email inbox with budgeting tips, knock-knock jokes, and other stuff you won’t read here. So if you’re into that sorta thing, join our secret email list.
And now, on to the questions:
- What was the last thing you listened to?
- What is the next check box on your financial to-do list?
- What item on your life bucket list do most people not know about?
- Choose one: clowns or spiders? (It’s almost October, after all.)
- When you feel anxiety about your finances, what’s the culprit?
We’ll give our answers, and then not another peep from us, for reals.
- The Martian audiobook. I’m about 75% done and really dig it. I hate when the movie version comes out before I’ve read the book and it premieres this week, so it’s going to come down to the wire.
- Finalizing self-employment health insurance. Hate. Kill. Don’t like.
- I’d really like to visit North Korea. I’ve watched every Netflix documentary about the country and I find it all really fascinating (and sad). But yeah, I’m pretty serious about making it happen.
- Spiders. All day, every day over a clown. I would rather wear a shirt made entirely of spiders than encounter the type of clown that haunts me in my dreams.
- Now that we’re giving self-employment a go, it’s wondering if we’ll be able to make the finances of it all work. I mean, we’ve been planning for it for a while and I’ve looked at the numbers a million times. But what if we didn’t save enough? What if it takes too long to get back to my old salary?
- I have a running playlist that’s become all too familiar since I’ve started training for a half-marathon. It was the only thing that got me through my eight-mile run this weekend.
- Getting back to a consistent, reliable income. We can do it, right?!
- I want to make a difference in the world. I know that sounds cliche, but there it is.
- Spiders can drop from ceilings onto my unassuming self, and they come for me in my sleep. Clowns do neither of those things, so I choose clowns.
- Not knowing what the future holds is hard right now. I’m a planner (and a spender, woo!), so I feel kind of vulnerable during this uncertain time.
Now it’s your turn. We’re excited to hear about your arachnophobia or coulrophobia preferences.