Happy hump day! We’re in NYC this week, enjoying our fair share of subway commuting and pizza by the slice. And today also happens to be Johnny’s birthday! When it comes to money, you all know that Johnny’s the saver — I’m the spender. I think his posts have also made it clear that he’s the weird(er) one of the two of us. But on this very special of June days, here are a few things you might not know about the birthday boy:
- Every other morning, Johnny gets up with Sally so I can sleep in. Even now that I’ve quit my job, he still wakes up with her so I can have a few days off.
- Anytime he gets the chance, Johnny brings me home my favorite candy. I’ll just find it sitting on the counter in the kitchen, and it totally makes my night. It’s such a small gesture, but it means a lot. There’s nothing better after a long day with Sal than to get to relax with my favorite sweet treat.
- Johnny sings and plays the guitar like an angel. I loved when he would serenade me when we were dating, but he thought I hated it because I fell asleep once (or twice) when he was playing. To this day, he’s still not convinced that I like his guitar playing, but I love it more than anything.
- When it comes to perceptive guys, Johnny is perched at the very top of the list. As soon as I start brooding over something, he just knows. “What are you thinking about? You seem distracted.” Or “I haven’t had your full attention this whole time. What’s wrong?” Or “You’ve got your thinking face on, and it’s unnerving. What’s on your mind?” I think he missed his calling as a therapist. Or maybe a psychic.
- I can’t think of anyone more comfortable in his own skin than Johnny. Whether he’s talking to a local celebrity or the cashier at the grocery store, Johnny’s the same exact guy. There are no airs about him. He’s just nice and genuine, with a little crazy. Everyone who meets him, loves him, almost annoyingly so because he doesn’t even have to try! He’s just effortlessly likable like it ain’t no thang.
- Johnny adores Sally. Listening to him sing her to sleep at night would melt even the iciest of hearts. Sometimes I peek my head in and just watch him with her, and I can’t believe how much I lucked out.
That’s just the tip of the Johnny-berg of awesomeness. Somehow I tricked him into proposing to me seven years ago, and now I get to celebrate this guy every year for the rest of my life. Tonight we’ll be celebrating with burgers and cupcakes in Central Park with a few friends.
Johnny… Sally, our budget, and I are sure glad you were birthed. I love you!